Resources: Federal & MS Govt / Foreign Embassies / Domestic Violence

Federal Government Resources

Foreign Embassies

Domestic Violence Resources

Domestic Violence is a serious and frightening situation. If you are suffering because of domestic violence, you DO have options.


The following hotlines speak English and Spanish:

Emergency Number
Dial 911

Center for Violence Prevention
Call 601-932-4198

National Domestic Violence Hotline
Call 1-800-799-7233
(They have an access line for languages other than Spanish and English)
For more information visit

Mississippi Domestic Violence Hotline
Call 1-800-898-3234 /601-981-9196
(They have an access line for languages other than Spanish and English)
For more information visit


Many victims are harmed, or even killed, when they try to leave. Making a plan of escape is wise, but do NOT write it down or leave it in the house. The numbers above can help you form and execute a plan. Also, it is good to have friends you can trust. Keep in mind also that internet usage can be tracked or monitored. If you feel your abuser is monitoring your internet usage, use a safer computer or use a phone to call the numbers above instead of viewing websites.

Abuse Can Include the Following:

  • Telling the victim that they can never do anything right
  • Showing jealousy of the victim’s family and friends and time spent away
  • Accusing the victim of cheating
  • Keeping or discouraging the victim from seeing friends or family members
  • Embarrassing or shaming the victim with put-downs
  • Controlling every penny spent in the household
  • Taking the victim’s money or refusing to give them money for expenses
  • Looking at or acting in ways that scare the person they are abusing
  • Controlling who the victim sees, where they go, or what they do
  • Dictating how the victim dresses, wears their hair, etc.
  • Stalking the victim or monitoring their victim’s every move (in person or also via the internet and/or other devices such as GPS tracking or the victim’s phone)
  • Preventing the victim from making their own decisions
  • Telling the victim that they are a bad parent or threatening to hurt, kill, or take away their children
  • Threatening to hurt or kill the victim’s friends, loved ones, or pets
  • Intimidating the victim with guns, knives, or other weapons
  • Pressuring the victim to have sex when they don’t want to or to do things sexually they are not comfortable with
  • Forcing sex with others
  • Refusing to use protection when having sex or sabotaging birth control
  • Pressuring or forcing the victim to use drugs or alcohol
  • Preventing the victim from working or attending school, harassing the victim at either, keeping their victim up all night so they perform badly at their job or in school
  • Destroying the victim’s property
  • Click here to learn more on this topic.


  • Isolation: Preventing the victim from learning English or communicating with friends, family or others from their home countries.
  • Threats: Threatening deportation or withdrawal of petitions for legal status.
  • Intimidation: Destroying legal documents or papers needed in this country such as passports, resident cards, health insurance or driver’s licenses. They may also say they are keeping these documents for “safekeeping.”
  • Manipulation Regarding Citizenship or Residency: Withdrawing or not filing papers for residency; lying by threatening that the victim will lose their citizenship or residency if they report the violence.
  • Economic Abuse: Getting the victim fired from their job or calling employers and falsely reporting that the victim is undocumented.
  • Children: Threatening to hurt children or take them away if the police are contacted.
  • Click here to learn more on this topic.

Whether you are documented or not, you have the following rights under the law:

  • To seek protection for yourself and your children
  • To call the police for help
  • To seek immigration assistance through VAWA or U-Visa
  • To pursue a separation or divorce without your spouse’s agreement
  • To share property or financial assets in a divorce
  • To ask for custody of your children and financial support

» For more signs of an abusive relationship, click here.


Click here for a printable list of shelters for victims of domestic violence.